Using each of the assessment criteria, let’s take a closer look at the mistakes preventing you from reaching a band 8 and the steps you need to take to move from a band 7 to a band 8 in Writing Task 2.
We also have a video that will help you identify the mistakes stopping you from a band 8 in Writing Task 2.
How you respond to the question affects your final score. Let's have a look at the below table to see how your response can get you to a band 8.
|Task response: band 7||Mistakes stopping you from reaching a band 8||Task response: band 8|
Coherence and cohesion
The way you structure your essay and link your ideas between paragraphs is what the examiner looks for in your Task 2 essay.
The following points will help you understand what the examiner looks for in a band 8 essay.
- Logically organises information and ideas. There is a clear progression through the response
- Uses a range of cohesive devices appropriately, although there may be some under or overuse
- Presents a clear central topic within each paragraph
- Organisation: the sequence of ideas is not always clear or logical
- Cohesive devices: too many linking words and phrases are used, always at the beginning of every sentence
- Paragraphing: there may be too many or too few paragraphs and some one-sentence paragraphs
- Central topic: each paragraph does not have a clear, central topic that is developed logically
The range of vocabulary you use to express your ideas is very important. You need to use a wide range of vocabulary to convey precise meaning and you need to show that you can do this flexibly. The other criteria needed to achieve a band 8 are given below.
|Lexical resource: band 7||Mistakes preventing you from reaching a band 8||Lexical resource: band 8|
Grammatical range and accuracy
Make sure you use a wide range of grammatical structures and that your sentences are error-free. You can use the following tips to convert your essay to a band 8.
|Grammatical range and accuracy: band 7||Mistakes stopping you from reaching a band 8||Grammatical range and accuracy: band 8|
And remember, before you submit your essay, use the following checklist to make sure your writing contains the positive features required for a band 8 in Writing Task 2.
|Coherence and cohesion|
|Grammatical range and accuracy|